Saturday, February 2, 2013

December 15, 2012

The bleeding continued, bright red with moderate flow without cease. My doctors are not advocates of bedrest. So I tried to just take it easy anyways. In the afternoon, however, I felt well enough to help my husband put dirty clothes in bags for him to wash. I bent down to retrieve an empty bag. When I stood back up, I noticed a gush come out of me. I dropped the bag and ran to the bathroom expecting to find a ton of blood. But to my horror it was not blood.  My heart stood still. It was clear fluid. I was only 14 weeks 6 days.

We raced to Labor and Delivery. The doctor on call did a fern test to test for amniotic fluid. It was negative. She ran a nitrizine test for amniotic fluid which was positive, but unreliable because of the blood present. She did an ultrasound and saw both babies alive and well. No noticeable decrease in fluid from either one. The only disturbing find was she noticed a gush of fluid during the speculum examination. She concluded I had not broken my water after all. She said it was probably just plasma serum from the hematoma and sent me home. I joked to my husband, "These babies seem to have nine lives!"

No comments:

Post a Comment