Tuesday, August 6, 2013

August 6, 2013

Platelet transfusion it is! The Hematologist called me today with the results of the Platelet Aggregation Study and he says my platelets do not respond properly to epinephrine. He said when you put this in the context of my clinical history and the results of other lab work, he feels confident in diagnosing me with a Platelet Aggregation Disorder. He says that is more in line than Von Willebrand Disease in my case. If the Platelet Aggregation Study had been normal, he would have gone with a diagnosis of mild Von Willebrand and given me the medication to help my blood clot properly. Darn platelets! I would rather take a medication than do a transfusion. Anyways, Hematologist says I will need a platelet transfusion at the time of egg retrieval and embryo transfer. I must admit I am not thrilled about this. I was hoping he'd say I was fine and dandy and send me on my way. Platelet transfusions sound scary. I'm envisioning infections, diseases, allergic reactions.. oh dear. Let's see what my RE says. Hopeful thinking but maybe he'll say the Hematologist is crazy and toss the platelet transfusion idea out. I'm meeting him in 2 weeks to hopefully finalize the game plan for my next IVF cycle. This better be it because I'm ready to go and I'm getting tired of waiting!

And the pain in my lower abdominal went away! I went for my annual exam. My doctor did a pelvic exam and ultrasound and found nothing wrong with me. She said I was probably just "aging". Oh yes. Very comforting. I'm aging.

No comments:

Post a Comment