Thursday, July 11, 2013

July 11, 2013

So I heard back from the Hematologist. It's been seven months since my loss and I'm still not clear for IVF # 3!!! Argh! Anyways, he says indeed my Protein C is low but not low enough to be concerned so he is dismissing that angle. The new angle is excessive clotting is not what caused the subchorionic hematoma. Far from it! What he suspects, based on clinical history and blood test results, is that I have excessive bleeding that does not clot properly. His take is when we did the IVF transfer, it punctured my uterus and I bled a large amount of blood into my uterus. The uterus he says is not like a joint. There is no pressure in there to help it consolidate and clot. So I had all this blood in my uterus and what blood tends to do when it is just sitting there is clot.. hence the formation of massive subchorionic hematomas. Also along the same lines he says all the blood in my uterus hindered the implantation of the embryos such that they never properly implanted. Woah. He is having me come back again to do a very specialized blood panel to observe how my platelets clot. After that, he says, we should have a game plan in place. The plan will be one of the following:

1- At the time of extraction and transfer, do a platelet transfusion... This does not sound fun!

2- Take a special drug at the time of extraction and transfer to increase certain factors in the blood to help it clot. This would be a way to avoid excessive bleeding into the uterus that could in theory coagulate into menacing subchorionic hematomas. I must say this sounds intriguing!

3- Do nothing!!!

In other health news, I've been having mild lower pelvic pain for several days now. I called my RE and spoke with his nurse. She said to go to my Gynecologist if it persists. I happen to have my annual scheduled next week. Knowing my luck I tremble at the thought of what this could be. Crossing my fingers it's nothing serious!

No comments:

Post a Comment